Cool Lassie here this week from Pan Gravy Kadai Curry with Thai Shrimp Curry over Rice Noodles.
- Mid-sized Shrimps – 25 #s, peeled and de-veined
- Ripe Tomato – 3, medium
- Cooked Rice Noodles – 3 cups
- Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
For the Curry paste:
- Onion – 1, large, roughly chopped
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Peppercorns – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger – 1/4 inch
- Cashew nuts – 1/4 cup (Use Candle nuts if available)
- Spring Onions – 3 stalks, white and green parts separated (Green for Garnish only)
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- In a wide saute pan, add a tbsp of oil and add the ingredients under “For the curry paste” one by one.Onions must be sauteed till it is slightly browned. Then Garlic, peppercorns, Ginger, Cashew and the White part of the spring onions and finally the turmeric powder.Cool the mixture and grind it to a fine paste with a little bit of salt.
- In the same saute pan, add the remaining oil and add the chopped tomatoes. Once they are partially cooked, add the ground curry paste and check for taste. Add salt/pepper if needed and cook until the mixture is slightly thickened.
- Add the cleaned shrimp and gently mix. Lid the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer rice noodles to a plate and top if with the shrimp curry.
- Garnish with the green parts of the spring onion and serve immediately.
Makes ~3 mid-sized Servings
- Right way to cook the rice noodles – Bring plenty of water to a roiling boil in a stock pot/pasta pot. Switch off the stove. Add the noodles to the hot water and let it cook for ~5 minutes. Drain it in a colander and fluff it with a fork.