Journey Cakes commonly known as Johnny Cakes are a yeast-less bread that are either baked or fried. In the southern Caribbean they are known as bakes (even when fried).
Today we will make some whole wheat baked Johnny Cakes
You will need:
- Sift flour with the baking powder and salt
- Rub in the fats.
- Slowly add the water to make a smooth dough (dough will be sticky at this point).
- Begin to incorporate enough wholewheat flour to make a smooth, dry, but elastic dough. Knead well.
- Shape the dough into a bowl and allow to rest for 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- After 1 hour, place dough onto floured board.
- Make 1 large Johnny Cake or 4 or 5 hamburger sized Johnny Cakes.
- Place dough onto a greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
From the lack of feedback, I think that my previous recipes may have been a bit too ‘exotic’. This is an easier recipe with common ingredients. I posted a fried Johnny Cake recipe over at my blog a little while ago. I do hope you try it either one and let me know what you think.