Shepherd’s Pie adapted from Taste of Home Everyday Light Meals
6 medium potatoes
1 pound carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 1/2 pound lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 jar (12oz) fat-free beef gravy
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup fat-free milk
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- Peel and cube the potatoes; place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Add 1inch of water to another saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until crisp-tender, about 7-9 minutes. Drain.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the carrots, gravy, 1/2 tsp salt, sage, thyme, rosemary and pepper. Transfer to a shallow 3qut baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Drain the potatoes; mash with milk, butter and remaining salt. Spread over meat mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until heated through.
Fat 13g (6g sat fat)
Diabetic Exchange: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
-I used ground chicken instead of ground beef.
-I added a can of Italian styled diced tomatoes.
-I used a packaged gravy instead of a jar.
-I did not sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Peel and cube the potatoes.
- Slice up the carrots.
- Dice up the onion.
- Put the carrots in water to boil and soften.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown the meat.
- Cook the potatoes, drain and add the butter.
- Add the onion to the ground chicken.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, add the carrots.
- I decided to use a can of Italian-style diced tomatoes. Add the tomatoes and the herbs.
- Make the gravy. If using jarred gravy, skip this step.
- Add the gravy to the pot and let simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Pour into a greased baking dish.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes.