BEER AND CHEDDAR FONDUE
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/3 cup minced yellow onion
1 large clove garlic, minced
fresh ground pepper to taste
3 cups grated Swiss cheese
2 cups grated extra sharp white cheddar cheese
1 cup grated Gruyere
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon dry mustard (I omitted as I’m deathly allergic)
1 teaspoon caraway seeds, ground
1 12 ounce beer, preferably Budweiser (I used Dos Equis)
3 tablespoons Amontillado sherry
Dipping items – crusty bread, apples, sausages, etc…
- Melt the butter in a fondue pot or heavy sauce pan.
- Add onion and garlic, stirring until it carmelizes.
- Add the caraway seeds and stir to brown them.
- Add the beer, increase the heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer to mellow the flavor, about 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl toss the cheeses with the cornstarch, mustard and pepper.
- Sprinkle the cheese mixture, a handful at a time, stirring each batch until smooth and all cheese is incorporated.
- Stir in sherry and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Keep warm over a low flame.